What is a screener and how to do I set it up correctly?

  • Created : Apr, 24, 2019
  • Last Updated: Apr, 24, 2019

The screener allows you to ask a series of questions which either qualify or disqualify a participant depending on your requirements. If a participant successfully answers the questions, they will be qualified and allowed to take your test. If they answer incorrectly, however, they will be disqualified and will not be allowed to take part in the test.

To create a screener, simply click on the Add Screener button after the participant tab.

How it works?

In the screener you should ask questions to make sure that the tester meets the requirements for your test. To add a question you can do so by clicking on the Add Question button or by dragging it from the menu on the left.

As an example, suppose you want to perform a test ONLY for participants who rent their apartment or house. You could ask the following question.

As you can see from the picture above , if the first answer is selected, it will allow the tester to continue through the screener with the following questions, whereas if the second or third answers are selected, the tester will be rejected directly.

You can ask as many questions as you want.

In some cases, if the screener is especially complex (or targeted at a very narrow profile), it may take longer than usual to find testers that fit the requested requirements, so we recommend adding only the questions that are absolutely necessary to target the profile, and try not to define too complex or narrow screeners. Remember that a usability or user experience test is different than a market research study, in that with a usability test you want to find that 10% who do not “get” your UI, because if you fix it for them, you are likely to vastly improve the user experience for the remaining 90%.

Regardless of the screener you define, we will operate on a “best effort” basis, meaning that we will do our best to acquire your target persona as soon as possible. If we do not see any results appearing in a sufficiently fast time, we will reach out to you with alternative options such as lowering the requirements or recruiting outside of our panel which would result in additional costs.

How to create screener questions correctly


General demographics questions first

Get the general demographics profile first: Age, Income, Place of residence, Profession.

Before going into specific questions about your participant's behaviors, habits and experiences ask easy questions about their profile. It will save participants time if they don’t meet those criteria and for those who do, will put them into the flow and the right state of mind to answer further more complex questions.

Be precise

Avoid questions with ambiguous answers. Instead, provide extra information about what each answer to the question means.


❌ Bad Example:
Screener Bad Example Pic
✅ Good Example:
Screener Good Example Pic

Other/Non of the above

Sometimes testers will give unfaithful answers simply because they do not have another option and are forced to choose an answer. To avoid this, make sure there is an option for everyone.

❌ Bad Example:

In this question, a tester is forced to choose one of the options even though he is not a holder of any of these cards.

Screener Good Example Pic
✅ Good Example:
Screener Good Example Pic

Include a neutral option

Avoid conditioning testers to choose either a positive or negative opinion. For example, you might want to screen the participants who had a negative experience with the brand. Not having a neutral option can lead to you getting testers who do not think very negative about the brand/product but just do not know what to choose. As a general rule, when asking about opinions it is good to have an ODD number of answer options.

❌ Bad Example:
Screener Good Example Pic
✅ Good Example:
Screener Good Example Pic

Avoid leading Yes/No questions

Giving multiple answer options instead of Yes/No will help to avoid people guessing the right answer.


❌ Bad Example:
Screener Good Example Pic
✅ Good Example:
Screener Good Example Pic

Instead of 1 complex question, create a couple of simple ones

In some situations, you will still need to ask a Yes/No type of question. In this situation, it is better to divide a complex question into simpler ones to make it harder to guess the right combination of answers. Start from a more general question and then move into specifics.


❌ Bad Example:
Screener Good Example Pic
✅ Good Example:
Screener Good Example Pic